Thursday, February 01, 2007

Am I crazy because I write, or do I write because I’m crazy? I read once that writers ask each other about the how, when, what and where of our personal writing processes because we are really asking, “Are you as crazy as I am?”

Although I personally lack the credentials to deem one mentally ill, I have embraced a tongue-in-cheek craziness in regards to my own writing processes. For me, writing does feel like giving birth, and I have given birth so I consider myself qualified to proclaim this truth. Much like pregancy, the idea is there, and it will not go away until it's complete. Most of the time, it’s a one-liner that places itself on my to-do list; I must complete the story around that one blip of language. Sometimes I hear a story, and I know that I must flesh the story out on my own terms. I somehow have to make sense of it. Most of the time it’s an editor telling me, “You will write this.” And I do, although sometimes painfully with little sleep. I finish the task, and let it go, knowing that my deepest thoughts and overall self will now be subject to criticism.

Since the first episode of Mississippi Public Broadcasting’s Emmy-award winning “Writers,” I have watched hoping for a simple answer to that question. “Are you as crazy as I am?” I’ve learned that “crazy” comes in the form of “passionate,” “humorous,” "talented" and countless other descriptors, summed up to the writer’s eye. We all write for different reasons. Some of us have a deep need that is only met through the written word; some of us write with habitual ease comparable to showering or tying shoes. Some of us write to relay a truth to society, and some of us write in response to that truth.

When I approached the producer of “Writers” with the idea of a blog, I envisioned a place to assuage a bit of the author’s solitude. I’d noticed at the end of each episode, these published, often award-winning writers offered host Gene Edwards gratitude for the opportunity to sit around the Mississippi Public Broadcasting’s “Writers Table.” As a spectator, I feel that same gratitude, a small sense of validation that I’m not the only one out there. I’m not crazy; I’m a writer.

“Renegade Writers” featuring Barry Hannah, William Gay and Ron Rash premieres Thursday, Febraury 1st at 8pm on Mississippi Public Broadcasting. Welcome to the table y’all.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger jacksongirl said…

    You know you are crazy Emily! But if you are then I guess I am too. I am so excited that you are hosting this blog and I'm looking forward to the conversations to come!

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger Tom Head said…

    Why do I get the feeling I'm going to be a regular on this blog? What an incredibly cool concept.

    I've been writing full-time since March 2000; currently on book #22. I have to say that writers, present company (other than myself) excluded, are generally the most obnoxious human beings on the planet. They're cranky. They're whiny. They're narcissistic. People who can entertain themselves with their own words for 8 hours a day every day, and dream of doing that for a living for the rest of their lives, are generally not the kinds of folks you would want to trust with the nuclear football.

    I was going to organize a local writers' group at one point, until I realized that I already have too much of a writer personality and would be better served by spending time with a wider range of people. But a blog is perfect because it lets us network as human beings without really networking as professional writers.

    I wuv this, Emily. Very good concept. And knowing you, the reality will be even better than the concept!


    Cheers,

    TH

     
  • At 2:00 PM, Blogger emilyb said…

    :)

    Watch the show tonight is all I'm saying. It's incredible. 8 and 10.

    Long term, if y'all get interested, maybe we locals could do a screening? And, you know, SEE each other face-to-face instead of word-to-word.

    Good description of the writer Tom.

     
  • At 4:45 PM, Blogger Tom Head said…

    Despite all my talk of not wanting to meet other writers, I think that'd be a blast. For starters, we've never met--which is really pretty doggone incredible, when you think about how many mutual friends and mutual interests we have.


    Cheers,

    TH

     
  • At 1:12 PM, Blogger Tbro said…

    Hey Emily,

    Cool blog, keep up the great work. I knew you'd be a perfect fit when we talked about this so long ago!

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger emilyb said…

    Thanks TBro. Someday, we'll have Podcast! The show last night was incredible, and I've got lots to say once the family is settled for the weekend.

    Anyone else see it? Loved the intro! Poor Gene and the gunshots.

     
  • At 5:46 PM, Blogger emilyb said…

    Thanks Donna. I'll get Tbro to fix it. I'm time challenged as a writer as well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home